How do you prepare your team for training and ensure they understand the value of attending these training workshops?
I'm constantly amazed at how many delegates come through on a workshop with pre-workshop nerves - viewing it as a punitive event rather than the reward it actually is
I tell them that it's extremely unlikely a company would spend money up-skilling them if they weren't considered valuable
. Even in the few instances where corrective action has necessitated attending a course, I strive to ensure the delegate is keenly aware of the positive opportunity
this provides them.
Here are 8 tips
you, as the person who arranges the training, should impress upon your staff- and/or team members:
1. Give them a clear understanding of the material the workshop will cover.
2. Having given them documentation detailing the structure, suggest they read through it and have in mind any issues they would like to have covered when they are with us.
3. Explain why you selected them to attend the workshop, hopefully with positive feedback.
4. Re-assure them that the course is nothing like being at school: no tests and lots of collaboration are what they can expect - very different from school!
5. Before you book them on, make sure your work skills plan is accurate and that you're sending them on a course which is pertinent to their specific needs. Call us for advice on this regard if necessary.
6. Explain that they will receive a certificate which they can keep with their CV's. It's an achievement.
7. If you have booked them in for an accredited assessment, explain how it will benefit them and what an awesome opportunity it provides. Please also read through the information we supply and use that to give them a basic understanding of what to expect.
8. Make sure they are comfortable with how to get to and from the venue and explain the structure of the day as detailed in our reminders.
These tips might seem unnecessary to you, but they will make the difference between
someone who is excited by the prospect of a workshop and an employee who is filled with apprehension
Our Staff Training
is a South African soft skills training provider with more than 60 workshops on offer. Email us at info@StaffTraining.co.za
for more info or give us a call at 0861 996 660